Friday, January 22, 2016

So Ya Gotta Start Somewhere...

     Isn't that just the truth, but most of the time, I find myself asking "where do I start?", and it's been no different with getting this blog up off the ground.  So many amazing things happen in my everyday life that I kind of want to share them all, but who has the time?  So I decided today, to start with the hardest p
art (well, for me anyway), I'd like to introduce you to me and my family.  Don't worry, it won't be as painful as Aunt Sally's vacation picture slide shows, I'll start slow and answer a few questions at a time.  AND....if I happen to say something that sparks a question from you, or even better, tell you something that you just wanna hear more about, please take a moment to leave a comment and I'll try to answer those  along the way too.  Here goes:

Can you tell our readers about yourself and your blog?

     I'm Melanie, from small-town Pennsylvania.  There aren't a lot of fun and interesting things to tell you because, well, I'm kinda a plain ole gal.  I can tell you that I am married to my high school crush.  He is most days my best friend and he's a wonderful dad and husband.  We have two great kids together, for the purpose of this blog I'm going to refer to them as Bug and Belle (Bug has to keep his identity a HUGE secret due to an upcoming project that's in the planning stages - I'll fill you in on more later).

     Both of my kids are on the Autism Spectrum, which can make my crazy life a whole lot crazier at times!  Bug is my oldest, and will be turning 12, his autism issues fall more toward the educational side of things with a little bit of social skills problems thrown in the mix.  Belle, who is 9, is more on the social/emotional side of the spectrum.  You can read that as "we've been dealing with a 20 year old since she was two!"  She's my sensory kiddo and we're just finally able to start using modern conveniences like the toaster and hair dryer around her.  Both kiddos are also diagnosed with Anxiety, however, it's a lot worse for Belle.  She internalizes her feelings and then explodes in emotional tantrums.

     I actually started "Aspie on the Corner" back in 2014 but didn't pay much attention to it after I created it.  The blog name is kind of a fun fact, I have two aspies and our house is on the corner of 2 streets - thus, the name was born.  Originally, I wanted to name the blog "Aspie on the Right" because Bug is a right-brained, visual learner, and I've done extensive reading on the subject.  We try to employ a lot of right-brained learning in his home school routine.

Describe how you first started blogging.

     I'm actually a blogger from way back.  I ran a craft blog in 2007-2008 where I highlighted a lot of my scrapbooking and cardmaking projects.  When Bug was diagnosed with Aspergers in 2008 I just couldn't see crafting or blogging as a priority any longer.  I lost a lot of myself that year.  That one diagnosis really clouded my vision and I couldn't see past anything but the bum deal we'd been given.  Belle's diagnosis came later on in 2012 and it was a slightly softer blow.  We kind of knew by that time that something was going on with her and we were pretty much relieved at that point that someone else was seeing it too.

How would you describe your blogging style?  What can I expect as a reader of "Aspie on the Corner"?

     My blogging style is casual and (I hope) educational.  I'm not going to take the time to blog about the perfect life I lead, because, well, sometimes it's just not that pretty - actually it can get pretty ugly pretty quick around here.  If you wanted to read about my perfect educational strategies, my perfectly organized (and spotlessly clean) house, and my perfectly behaved children I'd have to send you to another blog - I'm just not that good at photo altering.

     What I hope that you can expect as a reader of "Aspie on the Corner" is laughs, encouragement, ideas, and solutions.  I hope to put myself out there so that you can laugh at the crazy stuff we do, but also cry with us, stress out with us, and peek into a normal everyday life with us.  I think blogging is pretty dull without feeling so, around here, I hope to wear our feelings on our blog and let you see and read about the real us.  I hope that you can use some of my ideas and solutions to everyday problems and apply them to your own situations and come away with a new perspective.  That being said, I want to remind you that I'm no expert.  I might be a mom-of-all trades but it doesn't mean that I have a degree or any scientific groundwork to back it up.  Sometimes we do some pretty innovative things around here and sometimes we simply exist.  I hope to share it all with you, the entire journey and more.

     Ok, enough for one post?  I hope so.  If your still reading along and haven't run screaming, I hope you'll join me again tomorrow (and next week) for some more Q & A.  Again, please, if I've sparked a question or said something your dying to know more about, please, post a comment with your question or suggestion and I'll work it in to next week's posts.

     Until next time - Keep the Pieces Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed your visit. What's on your mind today?